Possibly fictitious, Positively ridiculous, Potentially delirious

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

There’s something about A Tinge of Regret



I happen to drop by Toa Payoh a few weeks back for some errands, and ended up staying longer than intended. Having lived the better part of my life there (24 years, to be exact), it’s a place of warm and usually fond remembrance for me.

Despite the upgrading and new buildings, there were a lot of things that didn’t change. For example, the pasar malam was still packed. They still have those kiddie rides (scooter or car for you?) at I-don’t-know-how-many cents per ride. And there were still a lot of uncles playing checkers at the void deck near what used to be the central fountain.

About the only thing that was different, yet uniquely congruent to the communal spirit of Toa Payoh, was the many line dancers sashaying at the pavements, seemingly obviously to the stares of curious passer-bys.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


To me, there is another constant in Toa Payoh: there is this old ice cream uncle whom I’ve bought ice cream from since I was in secondary school. He would always be there, regardless of the weather, three hundred and sixty five days a year barring Chinese New Year. I witnessed the price of the ice cream more than tripled from 30 cents to the current $1, witnessed how the number of ice cream sellers increased from the original one to god-knows-how-many-now, and also witnessed how the poor uncle developed a limp over the years.

I always make it a point to get a cone from him whenever I’m in Toa Payoh, and that night was no exception. Our conversations were always the same: 你吃饱了吗?你要不要榴莲味的?一定要问因为有些人不喜欢榴莲味。

I have no idea why, but I had a sudden urge to take a picture with Uncle that night. But I refrained because I’ve heard that old folks are not really into pictures because it’s deemed as inauspicious. As I walked away though, I couldn’t resist it, and went back to take a shot of him in the distance without him knowing.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I was back in Toa Payoh again last night, but failed to get my usual ice cream because Uncle was not around. In fact, he wasn’t around last week either. For want of a better description, my imagination went wild. My hand in hers, B3 comforted me by saying he has probably retired, and is probably enjoying a warm dinner with his family now. I hope with my heart that she is right.

I never did find out his name all these years.

Signing off,
Barneysaurus

13 Comments:

Blogger Vera said...

i miss toa payoh!!! i am a TPY Girl! hehe. but i've never bought ice cream from that uncle but i've seen him around. Hope he's alright.

I miss TPY!!

I wonder if we've ever like walk pass each other in TPY before.. haha u know.. like in those movies/drama! LOL

I miss TPY!!

Thursday, June 15, 2006 3:09:00 AM

 
Blogger sassyjan said...

This so so so very remind me of my childhood days in Holland.

But instead of the ice cream man.
I have the malt candy man.

Watched how it went from 10cent a stick to $1 a stick now. When his wife (commonly spotted in holland village) took over for good, I suddenly realise the uncle had probably passed away. I felt so sad for someone I never knew back then.

Okay, back to TPY. I LOVE THOSE RIDES!!!! I always take the scooter coz it is FASTER! hahahaha

Thursday, June 15, 2006 3:37:00 AM

 
Blogger flying paper said...

Sometimes, we assume things will stay the same and thus feel surprised and weird when things suddenly change..that's life....

I know you will feel sad at the fact that the ice cream uncle is not there anymore...maybe B3 is right ya..

hope everything is fine :)

Thursday, June 15, 2006 9:27:00 AM

 
Blogger Adrenaline said...

aiyah! becos he kena TOTO and is now enjoying the rest of his life visiting many parts of the world.

Even if it did turn out the way you thought it did, it wouldn't be the worst thing eh? At least, he doesn't have to slog anymore right?

altho i hope that my first guess is right =)

Thursday, June 15, 2006 12:41:00 PM

 
Blogger limegreenspyda said...

i managed to get a video of that ice-cream uncle when i was back last year! he wasn't too willing to talk or answer questions, but happily obliged to star in the video.

his ice-cream cones are the best. better than the walls ice-cream auntie's just nearby, i feel.

i love toa payoh! gosh. wonder if fat fingers, you and i really might have walked past each other without knowing!

Thursday, June 15, 2006 5:24:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

wow. a thoughtful post, unlike your usual nonsense ones. :D

i used to frequent TPY when i was back in JC, but now hardly visit it since i live on the other side of the island. i hope the old ice-cream uncle is ok. perhaps he took MC and will be back soon. :)

be sure to ask for his name the next time round. >.<

Friday, June 16, 2006 7:49:00 AM

 
Blogger Zhe Bin said...

Haha. So you have enough people to form a TPY Old Boy/Girl Blub now.

Anyway, back to the uncle.. I don't think it is what you're thinking lah haiyo. The fact that he's seen a small dinosaur become a giant purple thing like you now, and not feeling scared, proves that he's a strongling (adapted from the word 'weakling' lol). Trust me lah he's probably taking a break. = )

However, only difference is the length of the break.

Aiya no lah don't think so far lah.

I am not a TPY-er so I think I only can say I love ice-cream lor. Haha. I like to eat those scoop ones. Rather than those rectangluar ones. Much much more. = P

Saturday, June 17, 2006 4:41:00 AM

 
Blogger Zhe Bin said...

I meant Club. Haha.

Saturday, June 17, 2006 4:42:00 AM

 
Blogger FF said...

*gasp* you got girlfriend liao?

Saturday, June 17, 2006 1:44:00 PM

 
Blogger barneysaurus said...

Fingers + Spyda: Very 'Turn Left Turn Right' scenario. Hah, we might even have sat next to each other in a bus or something!

SassyJan: The scooter was faster?!??! Damn. Now I know why I always lost to my sister in the race.

Flying Paper: I hope B3 is right too. She is a very smart girl, keke :)....

Adrenaline: Although it's a long shot, I hope you're right too ;)

Spyda: Gimme gimme the video leh :D!

Ensui: Oei! What nonsense?!?! Haha. You were from which JC? CJC?

Zhe Bin: I like the Uncle's scoop ones probably due to the nostalgia factor :)

FF: In fact, I'm gonna celebrate Father's Day tomorrow. Muahaha!

Saturday, June 17, 2006 6:58:00 PM

 
Blogger Green Ogre said...

Nice poignant post. Really nice.

Really does take one back to the wonder years.

Monday, June 26, 2006 12:33:00 PM

 
Blogger cheeky said...

Fat Fingers, I'm a TPY boy loh. Haha. Alot of things has changed. Do you remember the hawker centre next to the old bus interchange? or CDRama which used to be at the site now occupy by Courts. Back then CDRama was very happening loh. it was during the era where CD was just taking off. Now it's all MP3 format. Talk about being old.

Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:18:00 PM

 
Blogger Champion Chen said...

i read your post earlier...and i am reading it again now....

my friends and i received news of my sec sch teacher in critical condition...and planned a visit 2 weeks before she passed away. unfortunately we didn't get to see her in the end...

now she's gone...

talk about having a tinge of regret....

Sunday, July 02, 2006 6:04:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.