Possibly fictitious, Positively ridiculous, Potentially delirious

Saturday, November 05, 2005

There’s something about Impossible Things



So a friend once remarked that nothing is impossible. While I still find fault with the word nothing, the events over the past two months have led me to conclude that some seemingly impossible things are indeed possible. For example. . . .


1) That Lao Shu Ai Da Mi Song
Four months ago, I was subjected to not one, not two, but at least seven versions of the said song during a car ride to a friend’s wedding. While I genuinely appreciate my friend’s offer of a ride, the same cannot be said for her choice of in-car entertainment. I made a silent reminder to avoid hitching a ride again, and to avoid the Lao Shu song at all cost.

The impossible happened four months later, when 我爱你,爱着你,就像老鼠爱大米 found itself on repeat mode on my Sony. I’m not too sure why, but I think it’s because that song helped made point number 4 happen.


2) That Durian Puff Thingy
I absolutely hate durians. Besides the fact that it taste cold and slimy, I am also traumatized by the folklore that the fruit evolved from Admiral Cheng Ho’s, eh, bodily excretions (I swear I am not making this up). My dislike for the fruit was reinforced at the same wedding described above, when the groomsmen (me included) were collectively forced to eat it. I thus can never understand why anyone would spend good money on anything that is even remotely related to the foul fruit.

The impossible happened when I found myself helping Polar Cakes clear its inventory of durian puffs. I’m not too sure why, but I think it’s because someone likes it.


3) That Pair of Concert Tix
I have a confession to make. The maiden concert I watched was not Michael Buble’s (it was the fourth), was not Lisa Ono’s (I have to forgo her show after the ticketing system screwed up), was not even Barney’s.

It was F4’s.

Before you get the wrong idea, let me state here that I am straight, and my idea of fun is anything but an evening getting squashed in a sea of hormonally-charged, screaming female fans. But my sister was, it was her birthday, and so I bought the tickets. After two plus hours of madness, I swore it was the last time I go to a Taiwanese boy band concert.

The impossible will happen this December. I’m not too sure why, but I think it’s because I have bought the tickets already. Damn near the front some more. I think I’m mad.


4) That Serendipity
A freaky coincidence, but I was in an utter state of disappointment three months back, exactly. So I told myself, “Barney, you have had enough of this already. That four letter word that begins with a big L is but a big fallacy, and you are better off being lonely. Really.”

I didn’t know at that point of time, but exactly five days later, I will meet someone who changed that perspective completely. Talk about serendipity.

And for that, I am grateful to you. This entry is for you, B3 :)

Signing off, Barneysaurus

P.S. Eh, if anyone has any good recommendations for durian puffs, kindly leave a comment please :) Thanks!

11 Comments:

Blogger kim said...

I definitely feel love in the air. Hahaha.. Dino! I need consultation!!! :(

Saturday, November 05, 2005 9:37:00 PM

 
Blogger n said...

There's something about someone.

Sunday, November 06, 2005 1:42:00 AM

 
Blogger FF said...

er, are you bubs?

Sunday, November 06, 2005 5:47:00 AM

 
Blogger Vera said...

haha i can't stand that song too.. i was dining at a chinese buffet restn here in leeds the other day and they were playing the lao shu ai da mi song.. in ENGLISH.

the chorus goes something like this.. i miss you, missing you.. blah blah blah

Sunday, November 06, 2005 5:32:00 PM

 
Blogger nadnut said...

i'm jealous of b3!

Sunday, November 06, 2005 8:17:00 PM

 
Blogger Zhe Bin said...

I see...

Sunday, November 06, 2005 8:44:00 PM

 
Blogger Green Ogre said...

Smiles really wide. So glad you found that someone. Life is funny that way, throwing things at you when you least expect it.

Nice to see one of the good guys win sometimes.

Hilton's durian puffs. Really nice. And I'm not maing a dirty joke. :)

Sunday, November 06, 2005 10:18:00 PM

 
Blogger Ang Ku Kueh said...

Goodwood Park Hotel has nice liewlian puffs.... I shall be damn corny and say Force be with u, child! and seriously, u'll never know when something great happens...

Sunday, November 06, 2005 11:09:00 PM

 
Blogger Adrenaline said...

For once, i have to agree with you. I hate that mouse song. I want to bich slap the next person who hums along to this tune.

For the durian puffs, i dunno abt goodwood park or hilton ones, but the best ones i have ever tasted comes from a little home-made bakery shop in joo chiat. It is THE BEST. If got time, then i go buy for u to makan.

Monday, November 07, 2005 11:55:00 AM

 
Blogger barneysaurus said...

Kim: Can! But must pay consultation fee! Dino currency please, muahahah :D!

Derrick: Well said ;)

FF: I am Barneysaurus! Barneysaurus am I! Muahaha!

Fingers: WAH :D!!! You gotta find that song and send it to me sia :D!!! Better still, play it at your flat and torture the, eh, CBs :)

Nad: I understand, I use to get C6 for Chinese! Muahahah :D!

Zhe Bin: Huh? See what?

Greenie: Yup, pure seredipity. And, haha, will give Hilton's a try! Thanks!

Christina: I bought the durian mooncakes from GWP! She likes them :)!

AKK: Yah, sometimes great times happen without expectations nor planning :)....

Adrienne: Since u like the song so much, I promise to sing it for you during our kopi session next time :)

Monday, November 07, 2005 10:37:00 PM

 
Blogger Adrenaline said...

if u do, i promise to deliver two shadowless kicks to your nuts.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005 11:20:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.