Possibly fictitious, Positively ridiculous, Potentially delirious

Monday, October 03, 2005

There’s something about My Belated Children’s Day Post



Unlike most others, my recollections about Children’s Day are not exactly pleasant.

The events on Saturday did nothing to correct that perception. I may have the cutest niece ever, but my nephews are all mighty-morphing, power-puffing monsters in the making. Indeed, I nearly had a fit when they performed acrobatics and a mini version of Wrestlemania on my bed. In view of their assorted atrocities, they didn’t get any Yan Yan, but a box of yucky chocolates left over from New Year’s that was close to their sell-by date. Yes, I am a very nasty dinosaur. Heh heh. . . .

I blame my mean streak on my horrible childhood. For the record, I didn’t receive any Children’s Day gifts from my teachers because of the following reasons:


1) Not only was I not cute, I was plain fugly. My nephews had a good laugh when they went through my childhood photos on Saturday.

2) My studies sucked. I still have my primary school record book that is full of red marks, and proudly proclaims ‘Last In Class’.

3) I shitted in my pants. During pre-primary. Because I didn’t know enough English to ask ‘May I go to the toilet’ to my Indian teacher, and because I couldn’t hold it in till recess. It stank quite badly, and I wasn’t exactly popular with my classmates thereafter. I felt really sorry for the janitor, because he had to clean up after me twice.

4) I once got into a fight with a prefect twice my size. Literally. He was approximately 60kg to my approximate 30kg. He also knew Judo, and I almost had to have dental surgery to salvage my shaky front teeth.

5) I stole milk from a classmate. If you’re as old as me, you’ll probably remember how your teachers used to bug you to order those pasteurized milk that used to come in that weird pyramid shape. I couldn’t keep up the milk subscription because I was dirt-poor, and I stole because I was hungry and greedy for artificially sweetened chocolate milk. My life of crime came to an abrupt end one morning recess when I was caught red-handed, and I was subsequently subjected to corporal punishment meted out by mummy dearest. I always have a laugh when I recall this, but it didn’t really seem that funny back then.

6) I got caned in front of the school assembly for flashing myself to my female classmates. Nay, I’m just bullshitting for this one. The caned flasher was a classmate named Philip. Don’t ask me why I still remember his name because I have no idea why either.


There was also this particular incident that I recall rather vividly. You know how kids love to bring a cake to school for celebration during birthdays, so that they can hao lian a bit and maybe get a present or two? I was no exception. I can’t recall if it was during primary one or two, but I wanted desperately to bring a birthday cake of my own to school too.

Unfortunately, my family was really, really dirt poor. I spent a long time pondering how to broach the subject to my mum before finally deciding on this one:


Me: Can I have a birthday cake to bring to school tomorrow please?

Mum: (Thought about it for a while) Ok.


When I woke up the next morning, I had a pandan cake ready for school.

Although my mum bought an extra large one, it wasn’t really enough for everybody. But I was happy beyond words nonetheless. My teachers also got me this color pencil set as a present, and that was when I cried really badly in class.

That could have been the happiest day in my primary school life, until I heard one classmate commenting that I didn’t deserve the color pencils because I only brought a $1 pandan cake from the wet market.

I felt so ashamed.

And I felt damn pissed too. So I stole his chocolate milk for weeks. He must have been as vindictive as me because he almost broke my two front teeth a few years later. On hindsight, it was probably a good thing we were never friends, because I might just have joined him in flashing and get caned together.

I love my childhood recollections.

Signing off, Barneysaurus

14 Comments:

Blogger Ang Ku Kueh said...

hahahah...that Philip surely deserved what he got...ahahahaaren't u glad u weren't his fren? bad influence,...so young flash liao...now dunno become wat...

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 12:35:00 AM

 
Blogger Adrenaline said...

hey, my bf has a friend who is a serial rapist, was on Singapore's top ten wanted list and is now serving his life at changi. maybe it's the same guy ... hahahah ...

but u shouldn't have felt ashamed. I was poor when young but i was always proud i grew up that way. i looked down on rich kids who had everything and didn't know how hard their parents had to work. Heh, even back then, I already looked down on people :P

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 9:07:00 AM

 
Blogger kim said...

Oh my goodness.. Your pants must have stank real badly.

Anyway, at least you had a pandan cake! I never had any cakes to celebrate my birthdays in school. And my primary school classmates didnt even know about my birthday -- so no present at all. :(

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 11:00:00 AM

 
Blogger Green Ogre said...

Well, I'd like to say that it's a whole lot better than one of those boring childhoods where all you can recall are what Playstation games you've played.

I love childhood tales. They make me laugh. In a good way. Haha.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 11:38:00 AM

 
Blogger nadnut said...

those kids are mean!

but u know i wont be mean to you....






if you finally meet me for dinner!!!!!!!!!!!!

MR B!!!!!!!!!! dont like that can?

bully small girl.



grrrrrrrr

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 4:58:00 PM

 
Blogger limegreenspyda said...

amazing - the kind of stuff we remember from our youth! your birthday must've fallen around exam-time...? your mom must've known how badly you wanted the cake. very sweet of her.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 7:46:00 PM

 
Blogger Vera said...

I came from a poor family too. I remembered once i didn't dare to get money from my mom to get a birthday present for my friend.. so i gave her one of my fav story books (that i've read before). When she found out she was furious and refused to talk to me! Bloody bitch! It was my fav book ok!
grrr hahahaha

and i think your mom was so nice to get you a cake (eventhough it's pandan..)

basket lah.. now i got craving for bengawan solo's pandan kaya cake!!! how to find in the UK??!?!?!?!

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 7:59:00 PM

 
Blogger barneysaurus said...

Milktea: Haha, it's probably just the ognornace of youth lah. "Tong yan wu ji!"

AKK: I lost all contact with my primary school mates for years already! I'm damn curious how they all turn out to be, haha....

Adrienne: I suffered severe inferiority complex when I was a kid! Haha, but I'm proud of the way I grew up lah ;)

Kim: It stank reeaaaalllll bad indeed. I appalled myself!

Green Ogre: They make me laugh too. Tell us about yours leh!

Nad: Haha... I where got bully people one?!?! Haha....

Spyda: Yup, it always falls around exam time. Damn sian. And yes, my mum is very sweet! As sweet as pandan cakes, muahahaha....

Fingers: Walau! Your fren damn ungrateful lor! Grrr.... And you know what, I wouldn't have traded that pandan cake for any other cake in the world! .... Eh, except maybe for Bengawan Solo's mango cakes, haha....

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 8:12:00 PM

 
Blogger Green Ogre said...

My stories of mis-spent youth is pretty bad. Even as recently as five years back, a friend I knew from IRC (Bring back any memories?) asked me what my nick was.

Instantly, he pointed a finger at me and exclaimed "Hedonist!" I spent the rest of the hour trying to defend myself. "I'm Epicurean, not hedonistic. There is a difference."

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 9:29:00 PM

 
Blogger nadnut said...

got lor!

if you dont go on a date with me, ill have to resort to desperate measures!

booooooooooooooo.

why doesnt barney love me?

i love you. you love me. we are one happy family.

BLUFF people one!

*STALK STALK STALK*

*RANT RANT RANT*

*WHINE WHINE WHINE*

grrr.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 12:36:00 AM

 
Blogger Cake said...

I had a fantastic childhood. Every year, i would have a birthday party where i could invite everyone to my home.

Only now then i realise how lucky i was.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 11:17:00 AM

 
Blogger barneysaurus said...

Green Ogre: You've only succeeded in making me more curious! Now out with all the stories, you, eh, ogre! Haha....

Nad: Aiyoh! Haha... hmmm... my free nights are all booked by someone with a penchant for red, white and blue sneakers lah, haha....

Vanna: Yup, all the good and bad bits.... Damn, I'm feeling all nostalgic again!

Cake: Wah! Lucky I didn't know you as a kid, otherwise I would have got jealous and hated you! Haha... just kidding ;)

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 5:57:00 PM

 
Blogger Adrenaline said...

barney, can u please juz go on a date with nadnut? people been asking u for ages liao lah .... c'mon manz ...

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 11:18:00 PM

 
Blogger nadnut said...

why thank you adrienne! :)

see! barney! u are evurl!

Friday, October 07, 2005 9:32:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.