Possibly fictitious, Positively ridiculous, Potentially delirious

Saturday, September 24, 2005

There’s something about Chalet Conversations, Part II



Besides getting mocked at during that chalet outing last week, and discovering that three of my former classmates are now openly gay, I also got to reaffirm what must be two of the greatest mysteries of mankind, the second of which is this: Women are attracted to assholes.

What is worse is that they can’t seem to leave them.


Me: My goodness, have you lost weight again?

Attractive female ex-classmate: Haha, I’m on a diet lah. . . .

Me: But you don’t need a diet! You’re slim enough already!

Attractive female ex-classmate who is really slim: Haha… actually, I’m trying to save up. . . .

Me: Wow! Marriage plans? I’ll make sure you get a big ang pow!

Attractive female ex-classmate: Haha. . . no lah. . . I need to help Ah **** with his debts. . . .


Ah **** is this, for the lack of a better description, shithead boyfriend of my friend for as long as I can remember. I’ve only met him once before, and he didn’t exactly left a good impression because he was practically putting my friend down through out dinner with comments like Chicken chop again? You are so boring and No desserts for you because you are fat. My friend ended up ordering fish and chips, forgoing the ice cream, and paid for his dinner too. She also helped him clear his gambling debts he incurred from betting losses in the ’98 World Cup, only to have to do it all over again following the ’02 World Cup.

No wonder my friend doesn’t like soccer.

We suspect she has been abused by him before after a friend saw her wearing shades for work because of certain reasons. In a separate incident, another friend had a long talk with her after spying that jerk behaving intimately with another girl.

I thus find it incredible that she refuse to let go of this relationship. She is the nice and caring sort of friend who would SMS you a cheery ‘Happy Birthday!’ even though you’ve not met up for years, and bothers to ask how your mum is getting along when you meet up in a chalet. Even though she looks kind of haggard last week, she is still very attractive, and I bet there is no lack of suitors from her office in Shenton Way.

The scariest thing is, she is not the only friend I know who clings on to jerks for boyfriends. So the big question is: Why?!?!?

Here’s a list of the common reasons I collated from friends and acquaintances over time:

1) He is my first love.
I’m not sure if this is applicable to all girls, but almost all my female friends told me the first boyfriend always have a special place in their heart. Even if they are shitheads.

2) He can be really nice to me at times.
For my friend, that would be the memorable surprise party he planned for her 21st birthday, or the times he rode her to view the sunset at East Coast (I thought the sun sets at the west?). Unfortunately, my friend fails to see that such acts of sweetness occurs only at times, with the frequency decreasing over time.

3) Bad boys bring excitement into my life.
I have nothing to say about that.

4) I’m scared of losing this relationship and embarking on another again.
I know it is not easy to let go of a relationship. I know it is scary to be single and lonely on Saturday nights again. But frankly, nothing can be scarier than spending the rest of your life with someone who seems to take delight in making your life an absolute hell.

5) I don’t want to leave him because he is rich/ handsome/ ‘well-equipped'.
If that’s the reason, then congrats! The two of you deserves each other.

6) I don’t want to leave him because I believe he will change one day.
This is possibly the worst reason for not ditching a shitty boyfriend. Sorry to shatter your fairytale, but people don’t change. When they do, they change for the worse. If they do change for the better, then they should be the ones making the effort to win you back. It shouldn’t happen the other way round.


I thus conclude that there is no good reason why people should stick around with jerks when they deserve so much better. For goodness’ sake, find someone who can make you happy instead of making you cry. As incredible as it may sound, nice and single people do exist. For example, you, when you finally muster the courage to ditch that shithead.

Signing out, Barneysaurus

P.S. My friend had to leave earlier that night because Ah **** told her to ferry him to a drinking session with his buddies. Damn, we were so pissed.

16 Comments:

Blogger kim said...

Loads of arses exist out there. Thank goodness I'm not attached to any of them. I'm happily enjoying my Saturday nights alone watching tv -- which is actually not a bad entertainment. Better than getting abused. Haix. Get your friend to ditch him la. Males who abuse females are the arseholes of the lot.

Saturday, September 24, 2005 5:28:00 PM

 
Blogger Green Ogre said...

I totally agree with this post. Better be right alne than wrong together.

Sunday, September 25, 2005 2:10:00 AM

 
Blogger nadnut said...

lol. maybe i should find a bad boy and can lose weight. like that i wont need extrim or xando.

lol!

Sunday, September 25, 2005 11:59:00 AM

 
Blogger limegreenspyda said...

hmmm. your post has made me miss doing silly things at a chalet gathering.

if there have been many well-meaning people who've talked to your friend and she still chooses to stick with the other asshole, then it's her pasar.

but do you notice, that the incidences of guys being assholes seem to outweigh the girls? yet there are girls who go for these guys.

Sunday, September 25, 2005 2:20:00 PM

 
Blogger Ang Ku Kueh said...

number 2 was one of my own reasons.... these girls have been made to feel inferior about themselves already. They feel that they are actually unworthy of their BF's attention, which is why they never complain and always want to defend. in short, there is no way to help them unless they can see it themselves. And this...is extremely hard to do.

Sunday, September 25, 2005 2:44:00 PM

 
Blogger barneysaurus said...

Kim: Males who abuse females should get castrated!! They don't deserve their balls....

Green Ogre: I have no idea how I can get my friend to agree though. Damn.

Nadnut: Now that's what I call an extreme measure to lose weight! *Pengz

Spyda: Yah, I guess it's her pasar... just hope she can 'wake up' someday. And oh, I think guys definitely outweigh girls on the asshole counter. We are scum!

AKK: Indeed, it's extremely hard to do... guys shouldn't make their girls feel inferior in anyway lah....

Sunday, September 25, 2005 11:20:00 PM

 
Blogger Adrenaline said...

eh, the farnie thing is, i also find myself attracted to the "bad boys". Dunno why. But the thing is, when you are "in love", you can't see it. No matter how he treats you, you juz have excuses for him.
But I do know of a way to get ur friend to break up with him. Experience tells me that she is not "always" happy with him. And if a good guy comes into the picture, there is a good chance that your friend will dump arsehole for the good guy.
But it will be a very long and slow fight.
Lucky my guy is good. heee ... or, is he?

Monday, September 26, 2005 12:35:00 AM

 
Blogger Green Ogre said...

Introduce a good men to her. Hopefully, one of them will take a liking to her and start going after her. If they have qualms about taking action due to the fact that she's attached (but not married), send to the ogre centre for counselling and conscience erasing.

Then, they'll do their utmost to get your frined away from horrendous "soon-to-be-ex". And when the dust is settled, and your friend is happier, I want a seven course dinner with the following:

7 things I'd like Barney to Treat me to:

1) Seafood Chowder with clams, mussels, scallops and shrimp, served-wrapped in a fine thin ommelete cover.

2) Fresh abalone with oyster sauce and broccoli.

4) Geoduck and Lobster sashimi with ginseng and cordyceps soup accompaniment.

5) Braised beef cheeks with red wine sauce and mini cas-au-let.

6) Cha-soba served with assorted sashimi consisting of toro, maguro, fugu, and hamachi, and yet more toro.

7) Superior Grade Bird's Nest with Royal Jelly.

Thank you, Barney. I will starve for three days in advance of proposed meal.

Monday, September 26, 2005 10:03:00 AM

 
Blogger Green Ogre said...

Aiyah,

I forgot number 3. Let's see...

3) Roasted Peking Duck w/ Ee Fu Noodles served with seasonal greens and crispy crackers...

Hehehe...

Monday, September 26, 2005 10:11:00 AM

 
Blogger barneysaurus said...

Adrienne: You always have this thing for bad boys lor, haha.... Lucky I have always been a good boy, otherwise you might have 'targeted' me too. *Shudders!

Green Ogre: Walau, damn expensive leh, all the stuff you ordered! Char kway teow can? I know of this stall in beach road, no bad one, haha....

Vanna: Hence the expression 'love is blind'? Haha, sometimes it's deaf and dumb too....

Monday, September 26, 2005 2:02:00 PM

 
Blogger Adrenaline said...

I won't target u, cos u can't make it as a bad boy. Actually, u can't make it as a good guy either. i dunno what the hell are u, manz.

Monday, September 26, 2005 3:29:00 PM

 
Blogger Green Ogre said...

Adrienenne- Haha, he's an asexual dinosaur, The last of its kind!

Barney- Think about it, good things have got good prices. If you just treat me to Char Kway Teow, then you get Char Kway Teow standard friend. Like someone I can think of right now...

Adrienne can say it together with me... On second thoughts, don't say it, the thought's too horrible to bear. I'm quite sure that there's a way to break them up. Can't let morality get in the way though. Can the Purple Dinosaur be hard enough to carry out the ruthless methods that the Green Ogre espouses?

Why don't you just let the Don take care of matters while you just concentrate on watching the TV... Hehehehe.

Monday, September 26, 2005 8:44:00 PM

 
Blogger Zhe Bin said...

I have this schmate I know of who can't seem to leave this abusive and very possessive bf.

She's always at his beck and call. And if she doesn't do what he says, he'd turn violent. After every beatings he gave her, she would always be the one apologising and asking for forgiveness. And he'd act like he was right and lectures her on why he had to 'show that he cares for her'.

The most humiliating thing I heard was he forced her to kneel in front of him. WTF. Can you believe she calls him a bf? I can't understand too lor.

You know what's the most gek xim? She has a broken family and has since left them. So in a way the bf's supporting her. And she believes that she 'cannot live without him' and she has nobody to turn to.

That's sad right.

But luckily she left him in the end; which I hope one day your friend will see the light and be able to find a truly caring bf.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 3:22:00 AM

 
Blogger nadnut said...

sigh. love is blind.

and overrated.

im still waiting for my 'date'!!!!

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 9:34:00 AM

 
Blogger barneysaurus said...

Adrienne: Muahaha, I'm a happy dinosaur, that's what I am :D!

Green Ogre: 'Asexual dinosaur' sounds damn fine. *Roars*. And walau, char kway teow is like damn good for health ok? I'll take it over abalone (which I think taste like rubber bands) anyday!

Zhe Bin: Holy macaroni, your friend seems to be in an even worse situation... glad to hear she's out of it now.... Hope my friend will be enlightened one day too!

Nad: Muahaha, love is highly overrated and yet underrated at the same time. Sigh....

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 12:55:00 PM

 
Blogger nadnut said...

yo barney. next week, when are you free! choose one day!

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 12:58:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.